The Link Primary School provides for children from up to 10 London boroughs. The majority of children come from Sutton, Croydon and Surrey.
Agreement by the relevant local authority is required to secure a place for your child at the school. If you wish to visit, or to have your child assessed prior to requesting a placement with us, please contact the school on 020 8688 7691 or email email@example.com
Right from the beginning, your child is dealt with on an individual basis. Parents have an appointment with the Headteacher or Deputy Headteacher where the sole focus will be your child’s needs and what The Link Primary School could offer. A tour of the school is given, so you will get a good understanding of our school community and facilities. Children are only offered a place after a careful assessment process which allows us to be certain that we can meet their needs.
Whilst the primary need of pupils at the school is speech, language and communication, many also have additional needs. For example, many of our pupils are diagnosed as being on the autistic spectrum. Such secondary needs are taken into consideration during the assessment process. A child must have an EHCP or be in the process of EHCP assessment before being considered for a place by the school.
Initial enquiries can be made by parents, but referrals also come from Local Authorities, whether on the parents’ or their own behalf. We conduct assessments for children whose parents/carers have expressed an interest in a place or who have been referred to us by the Local Authority.
We will invite the child for an assessment. The child will spend some time with the appropriate class, during which a speech and language assessment will be undertaken and informal observations of their time in class will be carried out. If the child is being assessed for a mid-year admission, how he or she fits into the current dynamics of the class will also be observed. If required, the child may be asked to return for a further assessment. Sometimes assessments can take place at the child’s current school if they have high anxiety levels and the assessment would prove to be too traumatic for them to complete.
Following the assessment process a decision will be made on whether the school can meet the child’s needs. Parents/carers will be informed of the outcome of the assessment process.
The formal offer of a place is made to the Local Authority who are then required to agree the funding for the placement.
Admission Criteria to the Link Primary School
• The child/young person should have an EHCP which has SLCN as a primary need or:
• The child/young person should have an EHCP which has ASD as a primary need with SLCN as a secondary need.
• The child/ young person should be undergoing the statutory assessment process for an EHCP with a need of SLCN or ASD.
• The speech, language and communication need will be significant enough to prevent the child/young person from learning in a mainstream educational context.
• Any other need such as hearing impairment, physical disability or emotional and behavioural disorder will be secondary to the language and communication impairment.
• The child/young person will require an education programme delivered in a structured environment in which language and communication development forms an integral part.
• The child/young person will require speech and language therapy intervention delivered through a variety of forms such as whole school approaches, small groups and / or one to one therapy.
If you wish to visit, or to have your child assessed prior to requesting a placement with us, please contact the school on 020 8688 7691 or email firstname.lastname@example.org